Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Have you ever had Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? Do you have a good detector?
No I am not trying to advertise a Carbon Monoxide Detector. We have a detector we make sure the batteries are working and check it by pressing the check button. But for some reason it looked as if everything was alright with it but it wasn't working. How do I know? Well I'm pretty sure I had it last week I went to the doctor for all my symptoms. Headache Nausea and vomiting and just feeling really week. He was wanting to run a bunch of blood test to see if I had Mono or something. Then as we were at one of the many football games of the kids this week I was telling my husband..."I feel so much better every time I get out of the house and I'm not even week in the 95 degree weather." On the way home he said he has been having headaches when he was home for long so he said "I wonder if we have a gas leak?" So when we got home he checked things out. Our heater pilot had blown out and every time the air conditioner would come on it would push the gas all through the house. So after turning off the gas to the heater and letting the house air out and being out of town all weekend, I'm finally feeling better so I'm finally back to working on a few things. I will have a tutorial up tomorrow. So sorry I haven't been posting much but I will be having more now that I'm back to feeling good. Now I just need a new detector does anyone know of a good one that WORKS?

Updated to add: I got this comment that is so full of information that I thought I would update my post and add the info. here in case there is someone else that needs this! Thank you so much for the info!!!

As an ER nurse and a firefighter's wife, this post caught my eye. I chatted with my hubby, and here are the suggestions from him. Carbon Monoxide(CO)is a byproduct of the actual burning, not of the gas alone. The CO Detectors usually only detect CO, not the natural gas that we use to power things in our homes. You need a natural gas detector. They can have combo ones called Carbon Monoxide and Combustible (explosive) Gas Detector, but you have to make sure. These detect CO, along with natural gas, methane, and propane. There is also a difference between a CO Detector, and a CO fire detector. The CO Fire Detector does not protect from CO poisoning, but senses a fire from higher levels of CO in the air. It is a lot of info, but remember, it is always ok to stop in at your local fire station to ask for advice. They would much rather spend a few minutes helping you get the right thing to protect you than the hours and heartache of trying to save your life or that of your family. Also, remember to check your smoke alarms. Change all your batteries whenever the time changes, and you will never have a dead battery. Cheap assurance. It is good to have at least one fire extinguisher in your home. Hope this helps!

5 comments:

goobersbride said...

As an ER nurse and a firefighter's wife, this post caught my eye. I chatted with my hubby, and here are the suggestions from him. Carbon Monoxide(CO)is a byproduct of the actual burning, not of the gas alone. The CO Detectors usually only detect CO, not the natural gas that we use to power things in our homes. You need a natural gas detector. They can have combo ones called Carbon Monoxide and Combustible (explosive) Gas Detector, but you have to make sure. These detect CO, along with natural gas, methane, and propane. There is also a difference between a CO Detector, and a CO fire detector. The CO Fire Detector does not protect from CO poisoning, but senses a fire from higher levels of CO in the air. It is a lot of info, but remember, it is always ok to stop in at your local fire station to ask for advice. They would much rather spend a few minutes helping you get the right thing to protect you than the hours and heartache of trying to save your life or that of your family. Also, remember to check your smoke alarms. Change all your batteries whenever the time changes, and you will never have a dead battery. Cheap assurance. It is good to have at least one fire extinguisher in your home. Hope this helps!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

Oh goodness Heather! I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're feeling better though and you found the problem. That's a bit scary.

Heather said...

Thank you so much for all of the information goobersbride I had no idea that there were differences in the detectors. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the information and thank your husband. It's really really appreciated!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'm going to change all the batteries in all the fire detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Thanks!

Feel good, be careful.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...